There are about a dozen things I want to say, which perhaps justifies posting where nothing else will.
1. On the obvious: I think it's clear I'm no longer "officially" away from anything, as I've been reading and commenting on the full flist all weekend for something like three out of the past four weekends. Because I am obsessive about intentionality (though not perhaps so good on the follow-through), I feel a need to justify my journaling activity even though it's really mostly whimmy of late. I think (I can't be sure of anything) that I will never again be as active on LiveJournal or in fandom as I was from fall of 2004 to fall of 2005. I don't have the time, and I don't have the energy. On the other hand, I still feel I'll never *not* be part of LiveJournal and of fandom. Fannish response to texts is part of who I am now, and I still think every day, every moment "how shall I discuss this on LiveJournal?" even when I know I won't post about it at all.
2. That said, for the first time in months, I'm actually working on fannish projects. Admittedly they mostly fall into the "audience of one" category, but I am okay with that. As I usually do at this time of year, I'm thinking in remix titles.
3. My remix story was written by alixtii
. I'm shocked, I tell you, completely and utterly shocked. My own remix, which I resposted yesterday, garnered almost no response at all, so I'm not sure I'm even justified in mentioning my remix strategy or discussing what went wrong (and I feel that something did go wrong, not in the prose per se, but in the execution of the brilliant idea I had that never quite made it into words because I was distracted). Maybe next year I'll be brilliant (and less procrastinatey. And writing a Paper of Doom at the time. So maybe brilliance is out of the question.)
I remixed yhlee
and possibly the best way to describe "The Unicorn Remyth" is to say that it's a simple pastiche with point of view swap. I retained all the ambiguities of the original, because I think ambiguity is important, but as a result the fic was inaccessible in a way. *shrug*
I'm still very pleased with the fic I received and it's inspiring multiple thought trajectories about authorship, autonomy, and subjectivity.
4. [Poll #976217
5. I have a paper to be writing, which would explain the blathering all over LiveJournal, of course.
6. I just finished rereading books 2-6 of Harry Potter and have now started on book 1. I expect I might cycle through them until there's book 7 available. I also might work on the WiP. Maybe.
7. I have half-finished (or in some cases half-started) posts on the many fannish discussions that have happened in my absence.
8. I'm watching the first season of Six Feet Under
again. The first go-round I hadn't seen Sports Night
. I concede, Peter Krause is a brilliant actor.
9. I'm bubbling with stories to tell, petrified that I've lost the voices, and still deeply conflicted about the extended leave of absence my brain has taken from fandom. But at least the stories are still there, if scared to come out.
Well. Not quite a dozen, but that will be enough to be going on with.ETA
: I did not actually realize, when posting this, that it really has
been four months. Huh.